G.L.Piggy [at] gmail.com
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
1. It must be disconcerting to feminists that the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire is the inventor of Spanx - those undergarments that do so much to perpetuate the myth of the feminine beauty ideal.
She first brought me the familiar Olive Garden salad bowl with crisp greens, peppers, onion rings and yes — several black olives. Along with it came a plate with two long, warm breadsticks. [Ed: Giggidy]
The chicken Alfredo ($10.95) was warm and comforting on a cold day. The portion was generous. My server was ready with Parmesan cheese.
It’s ROMANO cheese!!1!!11!! ROMANO!!
3. President Obama is lobbying Democratic senators to block passage of the Keystone pipeline bill. It must be remembered that Warren Buffet is now Barack Obama’s most-favoriteist suitor and that Buffet – whose Berkshire Hathaway owns a majority of railroad company BNSF - stands to benefit handsomely from curtailment of the pipeline for two reasons. A pipeline decreases the need for railroad transportation as a pipeline is more efficient and cheaper than railroads. Also, a more reliable and cheaper oil source decreases the demand for coal – which is a railroader’s staple.
4. Bill Whittle lays out the argument behind Sowell’s concept of the constrained and the unconstrained vision which I’ve written about a lot (h/t William). Understanding these visions and the arguments that follow from holding either one of them is more important than liberal and conservative labels.
5. Bruce Springsteen’s newest album is dog shit.
On his best records, Springsteen was simply a storyteller: He wrote about the white working class because that’s what interested him, that’s the world he knew best. In recent years, self-consciousness has taken hold; he’s never sounded so dutiful about his role as bard of the masses.
6. More consequentialist arguments for mandated birth control for women: how birth control boosts women’s salaries. As if an actual pill manufactures paychecks out of thin air. What’s the final destination here? A policy similar to China’s one-child limitation? Forced birth control dosing?