G.L.Piggy [at] gmail.com
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
1. Razib Khan discusses the Driftless Region – the area in the upper midwest which is full of white people who seem to embrace yeoman conservative values but who have tended to vote Blue over the past few elections. Some commenters offer up what I also believe to be one of the explanations for this pocket of blue: Lutheranism or, more precisely, Christians who aren’t Evangelicals.
2. Walter Russell Mead on exploding student debt and its greater impact on poorer students i.e. the students that loan programs were supposed to help. Does the GOP want to get a larger portion of the youth vote? Push for a reversal of laws limiting bankruptcy for federal student debt. Debt avoidance should be seen as a conservative principle – it is of the constrained vision. Living beyond your means – the unconstrained vision – is a liberal mindset. “Everything will work out and be OK.”
3. Cord Jefferson sees at least some racism in the demonization of Chris Brown, the latest incident which involves a female comedian who caused Brown to call her a “hoe”, threaten to shit in her eye, and then leave Twitter. Jefferson actually offers a defense of why hating on Brown per se isn’t racist. The incident evokes strong reactions mainly because of the infamous picture showing a battered Rihanna. Jefferson doesn’t mention, though, in his list of white actors who’ve abused, that Rihanna is probably one of the most high profile women to be abused since it happened to Tina Turner.
4. No surprise: high fructose corn syrup is correlated with higher rates of diabetes.
5. Dennis Mangan (welcome back) offers a hypothesis on why boys (and girls) are hitting puberty at earlier ages.