G.L.Piggy [at] gmail.com
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
1. Intelligence and an ancient genetic accident (h/t Richard Harper):
The same genes that gave rise to higher mental function are also responsible for a number of brain disorders, the results reveal, suggesting that the evolution of intelligence came at the cost of mental illness.
2. Helly Hansen jackets are to kill for (h/t Roosh). Another story of race, unnamed.
3. The “push-pull” factors that caused Asian-Americans to vote for Obama. According to the piece, Christian conservatism was a push factor, and Obama’s appointment of Asians to high offices, such as Steven Chu as Energy Secretary [mentioned in the second Presidential debate] was a pull factor.
4. Zero Hedge on the welfare cliff. A single mom who grosses $29,000 will end up earning about $57,000 in net income and benefits. A single mom earning $69,000 will be taxed more and not qualify for government assistance and will end up earning less than the lower-grossing single mother. Incentives.
5. Noah Millman relates his high school interaction with Hanna Rosin and launches into a review of her book.
Back home in London (where such statistics are available), 11 women a month are attacked in unlicensed cabs, and unlicensed drivers are responsible for a horrifying 80 percent of all stranger rapes. If Uber doesn’t have to follow licensing laws, then neither does any Tom, Dick, or Harry who chooses to paint the word “TAXI” on the side of his car, and start offering rides via the Internet. A disruptive CEO will shrug (and there’s a foreshadowing word) and insist that it’s not his fault that such criminals exist. “Just because there are people who want to rape, murder, or rob you shouldn’t prevent me from making another million dollars,” he’ll argue.
There are many ways to deal with this problem (assuming that the writer has is reporting it correctly), but those who are married to government believe that if someone besides a commissar profits then it must be an inherently evil endeavor.
8. President Obama awards blues legend Buddy Guy at Kennedy Center gala. I saw Guy in Colorado a few years ago. It was probably the best show I’ve ever seen. Infinitely better than B.B. King.