1. A story close to home about a man who is being pursued by the state of Kansas for child support after he donated sperm to a lesbian couple. The trio thought they covered all of their legal bases by signing a contract stating that the donor would be off the hook financially. In Kansas, as with many other states, when a single parent applies for state support the state pursues the absent parent for child support.
2. Walter Russell Mead on Philadelphia’s school closures.
3. Via Heartiste: “Why Is Male Nature More Homicidal Than Female Nature? Brief answer: because in an evolutionary sense, males are more desperate.”
4. Perhaps psychopaths are useful.
5. A blurb of a WSJ piece on college tuition and school administration costs:
The number of employees hired by colleges and universities to manage or administer people, programs and regulations increased 50% faster than the number of instructors between 2001 and 2011, the U.S. Department of Education says. It’s part of the reason that tuition, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, has risen even faster than health-care costs.
Student loans make this possible.
6. Umberto Eco: “we like lists because we don’t want to die”. This is more true when we think of the general human behavior of enumerating and list making. The human species itself does not want to cease existing so it creates lists to document and therefore recognize and anchor its existence.