G.L.Piggy [at] gmail.com
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
1. Another NYT hit piece on North Dakota’s oil boom. This time they ignore that the boom creates jobs that pay oil field workers and workers in supporting industries higher wages than they may ever see again in their lives and focuses on how there are more injuries and increased health expenditures because of the boom.
2. At AmCon, Robert Murphy on the economics of discrimination. He writes on the case out of Iowa where a dentist fired his assistant because she was too attractive and too tempting for him.
3. Heather Mac Donald: women in combat and sexual assault.
4. Government ministers in the UK are considering portraying the country in a negative light in order to limit immigration. Bulgaria and Romania seem to be the targets, but I can think of a few other countries that ministers might want to consider.
5. Prisons should provide inmates with yoga classes? This reminds me of those Locked Up shows on MSNBC on the weekends where well-behaved prisoners are allowed to keep cats in their cells. It sounds good in theory, but I don’t think it’s scalable across a large group of typically violent men. I can picture a prison gang calling themselves The Downward Facing Doggies.
6. An interview with neocon Michael Ledeen who spoke on Tocqueville and ‘millions of tiny regulations that erode freedom’. I like anything about Tocqueville, but Michel Houellebecq’s discussion was most interesting. Hit the ‘CC’ button for English captions.